Process of Getting Council Approval for Granny Flats

If you are interested in building a granny flat on your property, you need to understand the laws around building it. Following will be the rules, regulations. Certifications and procedures you need to follow to legally build one on your Victoria property.

A granny flat got its name because often families want to have their parents live with them on their property. They want them to be closed in their old age, but they do not necessarily want them to live with them in their home. Families would build a second dwelling when their property that is completely self-contained. These properties are now called granny flats.

There are many rules and regulations around granny flats including that it must be established in conjunction with a principal dwelling on the property. The granny flat must be on the same land as the principal home, and it may be within or attached to the principal home on the land.

The first step to take when seeking to build a granny flat is to understand and go through the approval process in Victoria. The process will require a local council certifier or private certifier to provide final approval. You may have options for the road you take to get approval. Your choices may include a Complying Development Certificate (CDC) or a Development Application (DA).

Approval Process for a Granny Flats Victoria 

  • Understand the Process Clearly.

Understanding the process clearly helps you to save time, money and avoid common mistakes. So first, call your local council and describe what you want to do. Also, get a copy of your property’s section 10.7 which spells out the types of uses for your property and any restrictions. Have as much detailed information about plans for your granny flat. Ask about the process you must follow and provide any relevant details about your property that might be important in determining what you are able to do.

  • Begin the Approval Process  

As mentioned depending on your property and what you want to do, you might have two options for getting it approved: a CDC or a DA. Again go to your local council website to see which one you qualify for and follow this process.

  • Hire the Professionals You Need 

Do not go it alone. Instead, bring in professionals who have been through this process and have been approved many times. Identify a surveyor or your architect to assist you and to make sure that you remain in compliance.

  • A Certifier Should check Your Plans  

Your professionals will ensure that you have all of the paperwork you need for the Certifier. The Certifier must certify that your dwelling meets the codes. This person can be provided by the local council or by a Private Certifier. If you pick a private Certifier make sure they are very experienced. Make sure all your plans are in order. The Certifier will file for you an exempt development certificate with the local council.

  • Get Your Construction Certificate

If you are certified, you will receive a construction certificate for your granny flat. You need this before you can build. Do not break ground without it. Upon completing your development, the certifier will revisit. This is a final check to ensure you followed the plans you submitted.

  • The Certifier Will Check Everything

The Certifier will return to make sure that your granny flat has been built legally and that it is a safe dwelling. .Your local council will issue you an Occupation Certificate (CC) and you can then have someone occupy the granny flat.

If you go through any part of this process and you do not receive approval, find out why you were not approved and work with the local council to get approval if possible.  You can continue to make the changes needed to meet any requirements for as long as you like. In this case, you should work closely with professionals to meet any unfulfilled requirements.