The Indian state of Himachal Pradesh has various locations to explore. The enchanting beauty of this Himalayan state is the inspiration for many travellers and backpackers. When it comes to Himachal Pradesh, most people can think of Shimla, Manali, Kullu but there are other locations as well which are still untouched and unspoiled. In this article, we will take a look at these key attractions of Himachal Pradesh that might inspire you to start your journey. Whether you are with your family and loved one, a solo traveller or adventure enthusiast, Himachal can not be the reason for disappointment for anyone.
- Kasauli: The beautiful town of Kasauli is located in the southwestern part of Himachal, in the Solan district. It is a cantonment town which dates back to the 17th century where you can spot many Victorian buildings built lavishly by the Britishers who used to reside here. Kasauli is loved by trekkers and campers. Surrounded by artistic woody jungles of pines, herbs, and cedar trees, the town has its own untouched and unharmed beauty to showcase. You can also taste some local and traditional cuisines of Himachal here. Some of the major attractions of Kasauli are Monkey point, Mall road, Gilbert trail, Sunset point, Christ Church etc.
- Fagu: Nestled at an elevation of about 2500 meters, Fagu is a snow-covered hamlet that you can access from Shimla after around 45 minutes drive. The most famous attractions of Fagu are sowing fields, apple plantations, and views of snow-clad Himalayas. If you are on Himachal Tour for honeymooning then Fagus secluded placement makes it more appropriate for a honeymoon destination. Every year hundreds of trekkers and naturalists also have a visit to this place. The name Fagu is derived from the word “fog”, as this place is covered in fog for most times of the year. Things that you can do in Fagu include hiking, sightseeing, visiting Bhantia Devta temple, and enjoying sunset and sunrise.
- Kaza: Located at a serene corner of Himachal Pradesh, Kaza is a smooth getaway on the plains of the Spiti River. Lapped by sumptuous mountains blanketed in snow, drifting and gushing rivers & streams and scenic barren landscape with widespread patches of green, Kaza has all the characteristics of a dreamland destination. The location is divided into two parts old and new Kaza which accommodates government offices and the king’s palace. Other visiting places in Kaza are the Key monastery, Chandratal lake, Komic village, Dhankar lake, Kunzum pass etc. all these places can leave you fascinated with its mystery.
- Tirthan Valley: Located in the Kullu District of Himachal Pradesh state this valley is nestled at an altitude of 1600 metres from the sea level. The valley derives its name from Tirthan River flowing through it, Tirthan Valley sprawls around 3 km from the entrance of the Great Himalayan National Park. This place offers plenty of adventurous activities and is a paradise for nature lovers. You can spot the grand Himalayas with snow-covering on the backdrop of the Tirthan River. The activities you can enjoy here are – trout fishing, trekking, and other adventure activities. You can book a beautiful guesthouse set in nature to enjoy your holiday.
- Sethan Valley: Sethan is a quaint village located approximately 12 km from Manali in Himachal Pradesh. This is a Buddhist village and a tiny hamlet that lies in front of the Dhauladhar mountain range. This is one of the best places for skiing and snowboarding activities as this place is covered in snow most of the time. One can relish the experience of star gazing at night in the Igloo Village. The other activities that you can enjoy in Sethan valley include snowboarding, bouldering, visiting Pandu Ropa, exploring Indrasana Peak etc. The facility of taxi and bus is available for a convenient commute.
- Khajjiar: It is a small town located 20 km away from Dalhousie and is a great option for a day or overnight trip. Khajjiar is known for its verdant pastures, deodar jungles, and cottages. There is a small lake in the centre of the grass and you could enjoy the spectacle by yourself or take part in some of the adventure recreations including paragliding, zorbing, and horse-riding. A world-famous nine-hole golf course makes Khajjiar more famous as the golf course is one of its kind and is located amid lush green environment. The Temples of Khajjiar are also famous which are surrounded by green meadows and dense forests. The way towards Khajjiar can be blocked sometimes during winters due to heavy snowfall.
- Kufri: Located at a distance of about 16km from Shimla, one can find the beautiful town of Kufri. This beautiful town is mostly covered in snow and famous for skiing activity. The major attraction part of Kufri is nestled on Mahasu peak at an elevation of 2,720 metres from sea level and to reach at this point travellers have to take help in the form of a pony ride or hike the peak on their own. Apart from Mahasu Peak, Fagu Valley is another attraction in Kufri. Once you reach the top, you would want to enjoy your time playing with snow or taking pictures of the natural beauty.
- Tosh: Known for its cannabis plantations, the peaceful village of Tosh is just another example of the unmatched natural beauty that Himachal Pradesh holds within its territory. The unspoiled location of Tosh is secluded at the end of Parvati Valley, cut off from the modernisation and fast-paced life. With its regular terrain and the streams of river Parvati flowing through its centre, the Tosh Kasol trek is an outstanding expedition for all adrenaline junkies. The unique vibe and hippie culture of this village can make you feel instantly that you are in a different world altogether. Tosh has displayed more significance in recent years due to its proximity to Kasol, a famous hippie town. It is popular among backpackers in search of an escape from the mundane & chaotic life.
Ray is a sought after thought leader and an expert in financial and money management. He has been published and featured in over 50 leading sites and aims to contribute articles to help novice financial planners. One of his goals is to impart his knowledge in finance to educate and help ordinary people create and achieve their financial goals.