Eye injuries in work environments are a significant issue in the Australian workforce. It is a prevalent source of harm to employees according to emergency departments in Australia. The eye injury that takes place in the workplace is about 60%, but 95% of injuries happen because of inattention and carelessness. Safety goggles help to protect your eyes in both these cases.
One uses safety goggles in hazardous work environments. Therefore the lenses of the goggles are commonly coated to improve their durability and efficacy. This coating is essential, and it is also a key component in making sure the eyewear is suitable for the workers. It also ensures the safety of the person wearing it. For maximum efficiency, choose lens coatings that offer obstinacy against scratches and fogging.
The anti-scratch coatings on the lens protect the eye from dusty and harsh environments. The anti-fog layer in safety eyewear is necessary for work environments where there is a constant change in humidity and weather conditions.
- Prevents foreign objects
The foreign objects in the surroundings can damage one’s vision. The goggles are capable of preventing them. One must use goggles in high-risk jobs such as construction sites, mining, welding, and plumbing. Particles like dust and pollen can disturb the eyes and cause long-term damage.
- Prevents major accidents
Safety eyewear acts as a shield for the eyes from chemicals, oil, burns, or wood chips. Rubbing different particles or substances into the eyes without noticing can cause damage. It also causes long-lasting problems such as blindness, resulting from a small injury.
- Protection from UV radiations
Working outside with exposure to UV light for long hours can damage the delicate eye tissue. Many workers exposed to this do not understand the effects of this. In these situations, wearing safety eyewear can be effective.
- Chemical and acidic liquids
In laboratories, labs, pathology, and oil refineries, there will be the existence of chemicals, acidic fluids, and caustic liquids. The workers in these institutes work very closely with harmful substances like these.
It is advisable to ensure that the labourers or workers are wearing safety eyewear when dealing with these acidic liquids and chemicals. It is even more advantageous if the goggles have properties such as high resistance and anti-fog and anti-corrosion properties.
Types of safety goggles
All these types of safety eyewear protect your eyes under different circumstances.
- Welding goggles: One can use goggles with protection from ultraviolet rays, and infrared radiation in welding processes. These rays are invisible but are capable of causing eye injuries. Welding goggles give high protection while doing this task.
- Laboratory goggles: Lab safety eyewear are fog and chemical resistant. It acts as a shield from harmful and chemical substances with full closure around the eyes. It provides a broad area of vision. The workers in laboratories can wear this for a long time because it is made from both firm and soft components.
- UV protection goggles: These goggles have a coating that protects the eyes from harmful ultraviolet radiation. It gives extra comfort and prevents the user from having long-lasting eye issues such as eye cancer and cataract.
- Anti-fog goggles: These goggles have an anti-fog coating that reduces the problem of fogging. They provide clarity in vision and are appropriate for workers who work in high fog conditions.